Many people think ice cream is difficult to make and is time-consuming if you don’t have an ice cream maker. Certainly, there are some tricky recipes around that require you to beat the ice cream mixture every time it starts to freeze.
The great news is that this is a really easy ice cream recipe and does not need any special equipment at all. The only drawback is that the finished ice cream is not ‘soft serve’ so they will need to be softened at room temperature for 10-15 minutes prior to serving.
* If you are calorie conscious, make the recipe using half yogurt and half cream, or entirely with thick Greek-style yogurt.
- 4 medium eggs
- 3.5 oz. or 7 tablespoons (100 g) caster sugar
- 10 fl. oz. (300 ml) of whipped double (heavy) cream
1. Separate the eggs, with the yolks in a small bowl and the egg whites in a large bowl.
2. With an electric or manual whisk, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add the sugar a teaspoon at a time then Put aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks until really thick and frothy.
4. Gently mix the egg yolks into the whipped cream using a large metal spoon and add the flavor.
5. Mix the egg white mixture into the cream.
6. Pour the mixture into a plastic container and freeze overnight.
7. Allow to thaw for about 10-15 minutes before serving.
Add some flavour!
* Coffee – Dissolve two tablespoons of instant coffee in two tablespoons of boiling water. Cool the mixture and then stir into the whipped cream.
* Lemon – Add the grated rind and juice of two lemons to the whipped cream
* Fruit – Mix 5fl. oz. (150ml) of sieved raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or loganberries, or the mashed flesh of one mango, into the whipped cream.